Greenwich Township Social Media Policy
The Township of Greenwich currently maintains and operates one, official, authorized website www.greenwichtownship.org, for the primary purpose of disseminating information to the public. The Township Committee approves content to be placed upon that website in order to improve communication with its residents, employees, agents or visitors. However, the Township Committee has recognized the need for the within policy based upon the evolving nature of the internet and communication in general and the growing utilization of social media by individuals.
The purpose of this policy is to establish and promulgate guidelines for the use by the Township of Greenwich (“the Township”) of all social media sites (including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Linked In and Twitter) as a means of conveying pertinent Greenwich Township information to its residents, employees, agents and visitors. This policy is in addition to any other policy or procedure currently in effect for the Township of Greenwich. The Township has an overriding interest and expectation in determining what statements are made on behalf of the Township on its website, and any official, authorized social media site. This Social Media Policy shall apply to all Municipal personnel, agency, department as well as any affiliated government or non-governmental agency or official and/or commission or committee permitted by the Township to post on Township social media sites.
For purposes of this policy, “social media” is understood to be content created by individuals, using accessible, expandable, and upgradable publishing technologies, through and on the Internet. Examples of social media include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SMS, Googleplus, Pinterest, Avvo, blogs, MySpace, RSS feeds, YouTube, Second Life, LinkedIn, Delicious, and Flicker. This list is by no means exhaustive. Moreover, “comments” include information, articles, pictures, posts, re-posts, etc. It also includes any other communication medium created by the Township and not specifically included herein.
The following are the specific details of the Township’s Social Media Policy:
- There is currently one, official, authorized website that is maintained by the Township of Greenwich, www.greenwichtownship.org, which will remain the primary internet presence. There is currently no official, authorized social media site operated by the Township of Greenwich. No such social media site shall be established without prior approval of the Township Committee, and it shall have the right to reject any information to be posted on such an account, especially if deemed objectionable or contrary to the interests of the Township. The use by any municipal department of a social media sites created on behalf of the Township is subject to approval by the Township Committee.
- Any Township social media site shall clearly set forth that they are maintained by the Township and that the site follows, and is subject to, the terms set forth in this Social Media Policy and monitored for content at all times.
- Any official, authorized social media sites should link back to the official Township of Greenwich website for forms, documents, online services and other information necessary to conduct business with Greenwich Township.
- It shall be explicitly stated that any official, authorized Township social media sites are not to be used for making any official communications to the Township, including for example, reporting crimes or misconduct, reporting dangerous conditions, giving notice required by any statute by, ordinance or regulations such as but not limited to notices of claim. Prominent notice of this paragraph shall be displayed on every official, authorized Township social media site, along with the appropriate contact information for submitting official communications.
- This Social Media Policy shall be displayed on the Greenwich Township Website and all social media sites in its entirety or by hyperlink.
- The Township Administrator and/or his/her designee shall monitor any Township social media site to ensure adherence with this Social Media Policy as well as the interest and goals of the Township. Greenwich expressly maintains and reserves the right and will restrict or remove any content that is deemed in violation of this Social Media Policy, any other policy or procedure of the Township or any applicable local, State and/or Federal law. Any content removed based on these guidelines will be retained by the Township Administrator and/or her/her designee pursuant to the applicable Township retention policy, including the time, date and identity of the poster, when available.
- The Township official website, www.greenwichtownship.org, as well as any other authorized Township social media site and this Social Media Policy are subject to all applicable Federal and State laws and regulations, as well as applicable record retention requirements.
- Any employee, agent or official representing the Township and/or Township Committee via the official website or official, authorized social media site must comport themselves at all times as a representative of The Township and in accordance with all its policies, as well as applicable local, State or Federal law.
- The Township Committee specifically retains and reserves all rights to revise this Social Media Policy at any time.
A. Information Disclaimer
By visiting this site, you understand and agree that the Greenwich Township government site is provided “AS IS”. The Greenwich Township Committee makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information on this website. The information contained herein is not official nor in any way shall it be deemed to constitute legal notice where such legal notice is required by law. The information contained in this site is provided as a service and convenience to people needing information about the Township of Greenwich. Portions of the information on this site may be incorrect or not current. The Township of Greenwich Committee, its officers, employees or agents shall not be liable for damages or losses of any kind arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of information, including but not limited to, damages or losses caused by reliance upon the accuracy or timeliness of any such information, or damages incurred from the viewing, distributing, or copying of those materials.
B. Linking Policy regarding Links To External Sites
The Township of Greenwich site may contain links to outside websites. Please note that these websites are not owned, operated, controlled or reviewed by the Township of Greenwich. These links are provided solely as a courtesy and convenience to you, the visitor. The Township of Greenwich Committee, its officers, officials, agents or employees, exercise no control over the organizations, views, accuracy, copyright or trademark, compliance or the legality of the material contained in these outside websites and do not sponsor, endorse, or approve the information, content, proceeds, materials, opinions or services contained on any outside websites. The visitor proceeds to these outside websites at his/her own risk. The Township of Greenwich specifically disclaims any and all liability from damages, which may result from the accessing of a third-party site, which is linked to the Township of Greenwich government website or from reliance upon only such information.
C. Endorsement Disclaimer
Reference in this website to any specific commercial products, processes, or services, or the use of any trade firm or corporation name is solely for the information and convenience of the public, and does not constitute endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by Township of Greenwich Committee, its officers, employees or agents.
D. Copyright and Trademark Limitations
The Township of Greenwich makes no warranty that materials contained herein are free of copyright or trademark claims or other restrictions or limitations on free use or display. Making a copy of such material may be subject to copyright or trademark laws.
E. Use of material from this site
The Township of Greenwich has made the content of these pages available to the public and anyone may view, copy or distribute Township of Greenwich information found here without obligation to the Township of Greenwich Committee for non-commercial, personal use only, unless otherwise stated on particular material or information to which a restriction on free use may apply.
The design of this site, original graphics, and original content are all copyrighted by the Township of Greenwich and may not be re-engineered, distributed, modified, transmitted, re-used, reposted, or duplicated without the express written permission of the Township of Greenwich, and the website vendor, in each instance. All requests to use any part of the original design, code, graphics or content of this site should be made via e-mail to the Township Administrator.
F. Unauthorized Modifications
Unauthorized attempts to modify or otherwise alter any information or image stored on any Township of Greenwich website may result in criminal prosecution to the fullest extent permitted by law.